Sunday, September 25, 2011

Religion and Expectancy???




I grew up in an atmosphere of non-religious Hindu and Christian home. By non-religious I mean one that has a non-overly practicing Hindu and Christian parent. I grew up in a country that had only Christian and Muslim dominion.  To make matters complicated I became confused and tried “practicing” different religions at varied times, including the Muslim religion.

However, I am what I am today, and I believe, like many others, that there is God, and expectedly I still have greater inclination towards Christianity and Hinduism. As they say, one keeps learning all his/her life.

I was always fascinated by simple homes/families practicing one religion typical to them. I believe today too, have a similar faith with your partner, with your children helps in times of crisis, especially and more so now.

Perhaps that seed of fascination or let me call it a seed of expectancy, of choosing my “assumed” right way of life made me what I am today. Or probably what I am seeking to become one day.

Whatever I am today, I feel the word “expectancy” is what twirls relationships of every sort. As the modern age progresses with its globalization people tend to lose their cultural values. Perhaps “lose” is not the right word. People probably tend to “choose” the cultural values to keep and discard others. People have become more self centered, more aware of their happiness. It perhaps started with My Country, to My Society, to My Family and finally to Me.

And as it is with history, man has always somehow managed to overcome a changing situation.  He therefore becomes more self-reliant! A theory suggests, if I am self-reliant, I will not “need” anyone for anything, therefore I don’t expect anything from anyone. I may need someone to fulfill my needs, be it another human being, a pet, or even God.

This changing nature of people has also affected the so called “culture holding” religions. Where is the Greek religion heading to, where is Judaism. Where is the Jew. Even in Hindu religion, we know have an “eco-friendly Ganeshji”. Just like men and women are getting smarter, so is “their” religions. I wont be surprised to see Christianity “sell” very well in today’s time as well as Buddism since both are “assumed” easy religions.

In whatever case, change is inevitable and for those of us that value our teachings, may have to hold on to those teachings in our hearts till our final goodbye.

No comments: